From: "Björn Thorwirth" <bjoern.thorwirth@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Gentoo science status
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 15:27:03
1 Hi All!
2
3 I want to support gentoo-science and especially sage-on-gentoo. I'm also
4 interested to become official gentoo dev. Whats the way to go .. where
5 can is tart?
6
7 best regrads,
8
9 Bjoern Thorwirth
10
11 Am Mittwoch, den 03.02.2010, 09:38 -0800 schrieb Sébastien Fabbro:
12 > Hello all,
13 >
14 > I wanted to get heads up for our science project.
15 >
16 > * Manpower:
17 > First our under staffed recruitment team found some time to
18 > turn Justin Lecher (jlec) an official Gentoo developer who
19 > hasn't stopped into helping for the science and chemistry packages.
20 > Welcome Justin!
21 > We have a couple of people also in the mentoring process who will be
22 > great new addition to the team. And as always we need more hands. So
23 > anyone interested, contact the sci team.
24 >
25 > We also need to know whether we still want a leader. Some time ago
26 > the question was raised, but got no definite answer.
27 >
28 > * Bugs:
29 > I have not done the counts, but I see we are actually improving quite
30 > a bit and killing a lot of old and nasty bugs. I think we are still
31 >
32 > * Documentation:
33 > We need to revamp our project documentation. I started some doc in
34 > our overlay [1] long time ago, but feel free to update, propose
35 > patches or rewrite it entirely if you don't like it. Denis had some
36 > electronics docs in his site, so we could also merge it. A wiki would
37 > be very nice, but first it would be worth checking how many people are
38 > actually using Gentoo for science.
39 > One another simple thing is also add a <longdescription> tag in the
40 > metadata.xml of our packages which I think useful to discover quickly
41 > a new package and give credits for upstream.
42 >
43 > * Projects:
44 > - Do not forget to test the g-octave project from Raphael [2], he
45 > needs feedback.
46 > - Sage on Gentoo [3] is slowly but surely becoming a reality thanks to
47 > Christoper and Francois.
48 > - A reminder for all of you to test the multiple MPI implementation
49 > system [4] put together by Justin Bronder
50 > - I plan to update the blas-lapack and the Fortran frameworks with
51 > long overdue package updates before the Summer. Contact me if you
52 > want to help.
53 >
54 > [1] http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/sci.git;a=tree;f=docs
55 > [2] http://g-octave.rafaelmartins.eng.br/
56 > [3] http://github.com/cschwan/sage-on-gentoo
57 > [4] http://dev.gentoo.org/~jsbronder/empi.xml
60 > Best,
61 >
62 > --
63 > Sebastien
67 Bjoern Thorwirth, Zentrum für Medizinische Biotechnologie,
68 Universität Duisburg-Essen, Universitätsstr. 2, 45117 Essen, Germany
69 phone +49 201 183-4026, bjoern.thorwirth@×××××××.de