From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Cc: sci@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Git reorganisation
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2017 10:01:05
1 On Wed, 2017-05-24 at 09:17 +0200, Guilherme Amadio wrote:
2 > Hi David,
3 >
4 > On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 09:11:03AM +0200, David Seifert wrote:
5 > > Dear users of the sci overlay,
6 > > we've recently rearranged the git setup. The current sci setup is
7 > > now
8 > > exactly like the main tree setup, namely:
9 > >
10 > > 1. The authoritative repo is the one hosted by infra
11 > > (git://anongit.gentoo.org/proj/sci.git)
12 > > 2. All commits to the sci repo will be synced over to Github
13 > > automatically, in ONE DIRECTION only. This means all the dual HEAD
14 > > merging is obsolete now.
15 > > 3. The Github repo is now meant as a (friendly) interface to
16 > > potential
17 > > contributors.
18 > > 4. As a new QA policy, merge commits in the overlay are banned now.
19 > > The
20 > > sci overlay has much lower contention than the main repository,
21 > > such
22 > > that you can realistically always avoid merge commits, even for
23 > > large
24 > > batches of commits. This will require you to rebase your commits on
25 > > top
26 > > of remote:
27 > >
28 > >   git pull --rebase=preserve
29 > >
30 > > I will likely further tighten the QA standards of the repository,
31 > > due
32 > > to a history of poor COMMITMSGs and other QA violations. This is
33 > > supposed to be a testing ground for the main repo, where plans are
35 > > also introduce such QA measures.
36 > >
37 > > Furthermore, I am considering requiring full GPG-signed commits for
38 > > the
39 > >  overlay, and for this I would like to get some input. I believe
40 > > this
41 > > prepares contributors for eventually joining Gentoo. For low-volume
42 > > contributors not wanting to join, we can always merge pull requests
43 > > from Github. Ideas? Are you opposed to this?
44 >
45 > I welcome all these changes. If we can help in educating people on
46 > the
47 > more tricky things, like signing with a GPG key, even better. I have
48 > some ebuilds I use personally now that I will try to add in the next
49 > few days to the overlay.
50 >
51 > That said, once we reach good enough quality of ebuilds in the
52 > overlay,
53 > we should start just moving them to the main tree. Gentoo is used by
54 > quite a few physicists (myself included) and other scientists, so
55 > eliminating the need for an extra overlay would be nice. I remember
56 > having problems with things like blas/atlas and eselect due to
57 > divergences with the main tree in not so distant past. Also, using
58 > overlays with prefix is not always a seamless experience.
59 >
60 > I'm not saying the overlay should go away, but just be a staging area
61 > for scientific packages before they land on the main tree. What are
62 > your
63 > thoughts on this?
64 >
65 > Cheers,
66 > —Guilherme
69 You're putting it much too lightly - in its current state, the overlay
70 is a disaster. More often than not it contains awful ebuilds, awfully
71 broken, and noone feels a responsibility to fix the mess. People keep
72 adding broken ebuilds to it. So yes, people should stop adding broken
73 stuff to it, and more importantly, should rather send in high-quality
74 stuff directly to the main tree instead of using the overlay as a
75 quasi-permanent dumping ground.
76
77 David