From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Re: New category proposal - sci-vis
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 23:01:19
On Sunday 27 November 2005 22:47, Markus Dittrich wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Marcus D. Hanwell wrote: > > I would like to propose the addition of a new category - sci-vis. The > > category is intended for scientific visualisation tools. Many of these > > are currently in media-gfx and I don't think they belong with photo > > editors, image conversion tools etc. The category is quite big already > > and most of the ebuilds in there are maintained by quite different herds. > > +1 from me! This will make it much easier to track > things down. > > Depending on the "definition" of visualisation and hence sci-vis > this category could also include > > sci-chemistry/pymol > > and possibly > > sci-chemistry/molden > > since both visualize molecules. Particularly pymol doesn't > seem to really fit in sci-chemistry since it is geared toward > biomolecules and could as well be in sci-biology. The same > will hold for vmd once I am done with the ebuild. >
I was hoping to keep it as wide as possible so as to include things like that. For example gwyddion is an SPM visualisation app. That is why I was going with vis rather than plot or graph etc. So I would be in favour of adding them to the list. -- Gentoo Linux Developer Scientific Applications | AMD64 | KDE | net-proxy -- gentoo-science@g.o mailing list