From: Juan Aguado <juantxorena@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] octave forge
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 19:50:17
1 > Thanks much for your message and all your hard work. We had a long
2 > time ago agreed to go with 3., simply because of the fact that the
3 > octave-forge.eclass does most of the work at this point and there is
4 > hence no good reason to add a new category to the portage tree which
5 > contains many tens of split octave-forge ebuilds that by themselves
6 > simply call the eclass and hence don't do anything but waste space.
7 >
8 > That said, we need somebody to spearhead the effort in writing
9 > g-octave. Unfortunately, this can not be me since I am currently
10 > simply too busy at work and otherwise. Maybe we could use this as an
11 > opportunity to get things started. We need one or two people that
12 > feel comfortable to take a stab a g-octave (based on g-cpan maybe)
13 > and write a first prototype. Any volunteers?
14 >
15 > Best,
16 > Markus
17
18 But, IIRC, g-cpan is used mainly for makind ebuilds for perl packages,
19 because there are a lot and they are in their repository, with their
20 deps and everything. octave-forge packages are hosted in sourceforge as
21 regular tarballs, they are updated and maintained by the same group of
22 people, there are only a bunch of them, and they don't have their deps
23 listed anywhere but in their webpages. I can't see how a g-cpan-like
24 app can help us with this.