From: Auke Booij <auke@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o, brian.dolbec@×××××.com, "Sébastien Fabbro" <bicatali@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-science] G-CRAN works, testing needed
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 17:00:57
1 Hi there, fellow scientists!
2
3 So I guess that if you haven't lived under a rock for the past few
4 months (and did not recently join gentoo-science), you have probably
5 heard about my efforts to help y'all install R extension packages
6 (CRAN and bioconductor are the obvious targets, since they are the
7 most popular R package repositories). My project is pretty much
8 complete now, and I'd like to tell you how to use my code and start
9 using R packages.
10
11 Now, I solved the problem slightly differently from packages like
12 g-cpan and g-octave. Instead of generating ebuilds as they are needed,
13 I've written another package called g-common which gives us
14 transparent access to non-ebuild package repositories (although
15 currently only R repos and PEAR are supported). To make our life even
16 easier, I've written a layman patch to be able to access R package
17 repositories just like we would access a regular ebuild overlay.
18
19 The code is not in portage yet, of course, so this is how you install,
20 as a simple example, the "zoo" package from CRAN:
21 -add the kuroo and science overlays if you don't have them yet
22 -install =layman-8888 from kuroo and g-cran from science (g-common is
23 currently included in g-cran)
24 -save the attached repositories.xml to /var/lib/repositories.xml (or
25 whatever you think is appropriate)
26 -edit /etc/layman/layman.cfg and add file:///var/lib/repositories.xml
27 to "overlays" (on its own line)
28 -layman -a CRAN
29 -emerge -av dev-R/zoo
30 For your convenience, I also added the bioconductor repositories to
31 repositories.xml. If you'd like to try these, please note that the
32 "annotation" part of bioconductor depends on the "bioc" part (and all
33 the gene databases and stuff are in "annotation", so you'll probably
34 want to get both).
35
36 Please test packages, and tell me about everything that you think
37 could be improved. Build errors, usability problems... tell me what
38 you think, so that we can make Gentoo the first distribution which can
39 directly install non-native packages using the package manager!
40
41 Should you have any questions or remarks, you can often find me on IRC
42 (#gentoo-soc, #gentoo-science, or just privmsg me), but I regularly
43 read my email too.
44 Auke Booij / tulcod.