From: Steven Trogdon <strogdon@×××××.edu>
To: gentoo-science <gentoo-science@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-science] sage-notebook & jmol
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 19:15:38
1 Hello,
2
3 I believe Jmol is the default Sage 3D viewer. However, it seems to be
4 broken from the notebook. A
5
6 sphere()
7
8 from the sage prompt works as expected but not so from the notebook.
9 Here I get that the problem is in locating the JmolApplet class. It
10 appears that sagenb is coded to look in the data directory under sagenb
11 for package data, i.e. relative to the python tree in
12 site-packages/sagenb/data. After opening the notebook the contents of
13 the directory can be viewed by pointing one's browser to
14
15 http://localhost:8000/java/
16
17 In particular the notebook seems to look in
18 site-packages/sagenb/data/jmol for the JmolApplet class data which was
19 removed with the advent of the sage-on-gentoo package,
20 sci-chemistry/jmol. Now here I'm able to get Jmol to work from the
21 notebook if I create either of the symlinks,
22
23 site-packages/sagenb/data/jmol ->
24 /usr/share/webapps/jmol/11.6.16/htdocs
25 or
26 site-packages/sagenb/data/jmol -> /var/www/localhost/htdocs/jmol
27
28 There should be a better way to do this but I'm unable to find a way to
29 get the sagenb package to access external data other than through a
30 symlink. If the first of the above is done then a version bump of jmol
31 will require a new sage-notebook install! There is also an "appletweb"
32 directory that's present under sagenb/data/jmol and I was curious as to
33 whether it's needed? Is it perhaps a carry-over from the older
34 Sage-provided jmol stuff?
35
36 Steve