From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] sci team help
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 20:25:16
1 On 19:39 Mon 15 Oct , Sébastien Fabbro wrote:
2 > I would like to call for help for the sci team. Lately, we are taking
3 > care of sometimes old packages, sometimes packages that we don't use but
4 > are quite popular so we want to keep in the tree. Our time is limited,
5 > bug list is barely reducing, and requests for new packages are piling
6 > up.
7 >
8 > There are plenty of interesting projects the sci team could start. But
9 > we just don't do because we are understaffed. Examples of such projects
10 > are: grid-aware tools, homepage page renewal, more docs, test-suites for
11 > packages, more collaboration with hp-cluster. I also know some widely
12 > used packages are not in the tree because they need a lot of time to
13 > package/maintain. In my field such examples are: iraf and midas in
14 > sci-astronomy, geant-4 in hep, R-packages, many numerical libraries,
15 > etc...
16 >
17 > So what could we do to get more help: call for new recruits, convince
18 > more devs to join the sci herd, get proxied packages, more overlay
19 > maintainers? (in the past, there was a similar thread [1]). I could
20 > train a new dev in anyone interested, I would have more time in 2 weeks.
21
22 Just a cautionary note:
23
24 However much we might be able to use the extra help, we need to make
25 sure to keep our developer standards high.
26
27 I think a good way to start is to make the overlay an "accepted"
28 solution for where to keep packages. Get more people participating in
29 the overlay, and even be willing to move packages from the main tree to
30 the overlay if there's non-devs willing to help with things that are
31 poorly maintained.
32
33 The overlay worked great to get you to join. =)
34
35 Thanks,
36 Donnie
37 --