From: Markus Dittrich <markusle@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] elektronic lab book
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 14:25:53
1 On Sun, 17 Sep 2006, Olivier Fisette wrote:
2
3 > On Saturday, 16 September 2006 10:38, Norman Warthmann wrote:
4 >> I am having my eyes open for an electronic way of keeping a lab book
5 >> for my experiments for quite some time now, however to my surprise,
6 >> it seems there is none open source. I am wondering how people in the
7 >> science herd are organizing their day by day experiments.
8 >
9 > Hi Norman,
10 >
11 > There are open source ELN and LIMS such as OpenSourceELN
12 > (www.opensourceeln.org) and HalX (Prilusky et al. 2005,
13 > halx.genomics.eu.org), but I personally prefer to use text files,
14 > directories, vim and a few shell scripts to keep track of my day-to-day work.
15 > I never felt the need for anything more complex. ;)
16 >
17 > Cheers,
20 Same here! I mostly use README files combined with a suitable
21 directory structure in addition to a good old paper lab
22 notebook. I also use cvs/subversion to keep track of changes
23 to scripts, analysis routines, data files, and for paper writing.
24
25 The only decent and usable electronic notebook I've seen
26 is notetaker, which, unfortunately, is only available on OS X.
27 http://www.aquaminds.com/
28
29 best,
30 Markus