From: Rafael Goncalves Martins <rafaelmartins@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] g-octave
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 06:10:19
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Juan Aguado <juantxorena@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > Some months ago the octave-forge packages were removed and a new app, g-octave, were requiered to install the octave packages. I never understood why this was better since octave forge is nothing like ctan, cran or cpan and it requieres manual manteniance.
7 >
8 > Anyway, the package and its derivatives (the octave packages it supposes to install) is completely unmantained. There are 13 open bugs that nobody cares about them, is somewhat incompatible with the current stable version of portage (try to do an "emerge -eav world" with some octave packages installed and you will see a lot of warnings that shouldn't be there), the octave forge packages are unmantained (for example, g-octave tries to install control-1.0.13, while the newest control version is 2.1.55, or image requieres media-libs/jpeg instead of virtual/jpeg, which is the only reason why I'm not using libjpeg-turbo, btw), etc.
9 >
10 > I don't know how g-octave works, but with the old ebuild-based octave-package installation method I was able to mantain a small repo for myself if things were slow for a while. Now simply I can't install any octave package, and I'm sure I'm not the only one (there are at least 4 other guys in gentoo forums that don't like the current state of octave in gentoo).
11 >
12 > So please, provide a solution. Re-start the maintenance of g-octave, go back to the ebuild-based thing, doing a new category if you want (the best solution for me), or do something about this, please.
13 >
14 > Cheers,
18 I wrote a blog post about this topic, to avoid being repetitive.
19
20 http://rafaelmartins.eng.br/post/g-octave-past-present-and-future/
21
22 TL;DR: Please read the documentation.
25 Rafael Goncalves Martins
26 Gentoo Linux developer
27 http://rafaelmartins.eng.br/