From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] gnuplot + python
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 00:25:59
1 M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
2 > Alan Jackson wrote:
3 >> Sounds like you want ggobi or Rggobi
4 >>
5 >> http://www.ggobi.org/
6 >> http://www.ggobi.org/rggobi/
7 >>
8 >> On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 10:04:15 -0700
9 >> "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net> wrote:
10 >>
11 >>> Matías Graña wrote:
12 >>>> Hi; I'm doing some easy 3D plotting these days and I've come to this
13 >>>> situation. I just need to plot a few dots in 3D-space. I've been using
14 >>>> gnuplot for this, as it allows to rotate the picture with the mouse,
15 >>>> giving a good impression of where the dots actually are.
16 >>>> So far so good, but now I want it to interact with the python code I use
17 >>>> to compute the position of the dots. There's gnuplot-py for this, but it
18 >>>> seems to have the problem that once it launches a window, gnuplot does
19 >>>> not listen to mouse clickings on it. So I can tell my python program to
20 >>>> draw the dots, but then I can't rotate them as I could within a gnuplot
21 >>>> session.
22 >>>>
23 >>>> So, I'm looking to either
24 >>>> a) a way to have an interaction between gnuplot and python, or
25 >>>> b) another program/library that can be launched from python and able to
26 >>>> plot 3D dots and rotate them with the mouse.
27 >>>>
28 >>>> Any insight or advice is welcome.
29 >>>>
30 >>>> Thanks,
31 >>>> Matías
32 >>> There are oodles of scientific interfaces to Python. I'm guessing there
33 >>> is at least one that will do this. I'm not a Pythonista, however, I'm a
34 >>> Rubyist, so I can't give you any names, or tell you whether what you
35 >>> want to do is in Portage or not. One you might want to check is Sage
36 >>> (http://sagemath.org/). Another is StatPy
37 >>> (http://www.astro.cornell.edu/staff/loredo/statpy/)
38 >>>
39 >>> However, this is a very common mode of interaction in exploratory data
40 >>> analysis, and just about every statistics package out there can do this.
41 >>> xlisp-stat used to be in Portage, but it's in Lisp. And R is in Portage
42 >>> for sure and is what *I* use to do this sort of thing. If you don't mind
43 >>> learning another language, I'd recommend R.
44 >>>
45 >>> There is supposedly an R-Python interface available, but since I don't
46 >>> know Python, I've never bothered to check it out. If you want to go this
47 >>> way, do a Google search for "RSPython".
48 >>> --
49 >>> gentoo-science@g.o mailing list
50 >>
51 > I haven't been able to get them to build ... is ggobi even in Portage??
52 Just checked ... ggobi isn't in Portage. I downloaded it and will be
53 testing it this evening. If it works, I'll file an enhancement to get it
54 in Portage if it's got an open source license. My recollection is that
55 it didn't, but I downloaded a tarball, so maybe it's open now.
56 --
57 gentoo-science@g.o mailing list