From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] aldor
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:12:46
1 Andrey G. Grozin wrote:
2 > Hello *,
3 >
4 > I've just committed aldor-1.1.0 to the science overlay. This is the
5 > first open-source release (free for non-commercial use). Previous
6 > releases were binary-only (free of charge for non-commercial use, x86
7 > only). Now aldor and its libraries are compiled from sources in this
8 > ebuild, and can (probably) be compiled for any arch.
9 >
10 > Aldor is a language developed for many years at IBM, then NAG, and now
11 > aldor.org. It was designed as a replacement of the Axiom library
12 > compiler. It is an excellent library for implementing computer algebra,
13 > and it has a rather comprehensive foundation library (libalgebra) with
14 > many algebraic domains (it is not as comprehensive as the library of
15 > Axiom, written in the old language). Aldor can be used both separately
16 > and from Axiom. I am sure that the next axiom ebuild must have the local
17 > USE flag "aldor" which would allow using aldor from axiom (and will
18 > depend on the aldor ebuild I've committed now). What I am not sure is
19 > which axiom to package, there are now 3 of them :-(
20 >
21 > I know that the current ebuild is far from ideal. It ignores the user's
22 > CFLAGS and uses the ones supplied by the aldor folk. The build system is
23 > rather non-standard, and fixing this will require patching a number of
24 > makefiles. But in any case, it is better than the previous
25 > free-of-charge binaries - they were compiled with the same CFLAGS chosen
26 > by aldor developers, and on x86 only. So, please, try aldor-1.1.0 and
27 > report yoor experiences. This is a very well designed language for doing
28 > mathematics.
29 >
30 > Andrey
31
32 I think I've mentioned on this list before that
33
34 a. The forking of Axiom three ways was (and still is) a contentious
35 ego-ridden mess, and
36
37 b. While the Axiom project folks begged NAG to "free Aldor", the best
38 they could get was a "free for non-commercial use" license, which makes
39 it incompatible with most "free as in freedom" licenses.
40
41 So ... while Aldor does indeed appear to be a product of high quality,
42 you do have to be careful and choose wisely how you spend your time with
43 Aldor, Axiom, OpenAxiom and FriCAS. For now, I am sticking with the main
44 branch of Axiom and not touching Aldor until "things settle down a
45 little bit."
46
47 I'm hoping that the disputes causing the forks will get resolved and
48 there will only be one Axiom. And I'm hoping NAG can be persuaded to
49 eliminate the non-commercial clause from the Aldor license.
50
51 IIRC I posted a bug in Bugzilla to get Axiom up to date long before the
52 forks. I'm personally running the main line Axiom on both AMD64 and x86
53 with only one issue -- the "gcl" it carries only works in older versions
54 on AMD64. If you follow the Lisp mailing list, "gcl" is close to getting
55 kicked out of Portage because there are better Common Lisps available.
56 But these are issues that I think can easily be fixed upstream without a
57 fork. :)
58
59 I have tested the forks ... they don't currently offer me anything the
60 main line Axiom has. It looks like the *math* is getting maintained in
61 the main line and the FriCAS and OpenAxiom forks are more about build
62 improvements. Build improvements are sorely needed, but the *reason* for
63 having Axiom is to do math, not to rebuild Axiom faster. :)
64 --
65 gentoo-science@g.o mailing list