From: Olivier Huber <oli.huber@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] ChangeLog in the overlay
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2015 22:20:12
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 8:38 AM, Justin Lecher (jlec) <jlec@g.o> wrote:
5 > Hash: SHA512
6 >
7 > On 10/10/15 12:42, François Bissey wrote:
8 >> I am annoyed by the tree in that regard. A simple user doesn’t have
9 >> access to the changelog anymore because the git history is not
10 >> shipped as far as I can see.
11 >>
12 >> The overlay would be a bit better because we can still call git log
13 >> on it.
14 >>
15 >> Any tools out there to get changelog without syncing the tree with
16 >> git?
17 >>
18 >> François
21 > Hi,
22 >
23 > the ChangeLogs are recreated for rsync. If you are using rsync as
24 > normal users should do, you will have the ChangeLog in place.
25 > egencache --update-changelogs is used for that.
26
27 I use rsync to get the portage tree and the Changelog have not been
28 touched since the migration. Did I miss something here ?
29
30 Out of curiosity, I tried egencache --update-changelogs on the
31 gentoo-science repo. It created most Changelog, while complaining
32 several time and failing due to I think, utf8 characters being used.
33 See the attached file.
34
35 <shameless plug>
36
37 A few weeks back I was frustrated enough with the lack of Changelog
38 that I hacked a small tool to query the changes made on a file using
39 the GitHub API. You don't need to clone any git repo. It tries to
40 mimic the Changelog layout and colors. It's far from being perfect,
41 but it does the job for me. It is now available here:
42 https://github.com/xhub/changelog-gentoo Maybe it is also useful for
43 others ...
44
45 </shameless plug>