From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] website python error
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:52:30
1 On Friday 15 September 2006 05:22, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
3 > > Not sure about the links from the overlays.g.o, gentooscience.org was
4 > > created before the overlays think had even been discussed as a solution
5 > > to a problem. It is advertised here, and on the IRC channel but it would
6 > > be good to get it more widely advertised.
7 >
8 > Pretty sure they're not interested in linking to external overlays. If
9 > you want a link, and to save some time on maintenance and future
10 > breakage, it might be easier to just migrate to their hosting.
11 >
12 Like I said I set this up before overlays was available. I don't mind
13 performing the maintenance but if most would rather migrate then that is fine
14 with me too. I don't think there is anything special about overlays.g.o but
15 my time is becoming more limited anyway and so handing off administration
16 would not be a bad thing.
17
18 I personally think trac adds little more than a source browser - the ticket
19 system needs work to be more useful and I haven't had time to work out the
20 niggles. It gets spammed regularly too. I notice they have turned it off
21 (which is what I was thinking of doing).
22
23 To quote from their site 'You don't have to have an overlay at all, and if you
24 do have one, you are absolutely free to host your own overlay somewhere else.
25 You don't have to host an overlay on o.g.o for it to be
26 considered "official".' If the general opinion is to move then please let me
27 know and I will contact someone from the project about migrating the overlay.
28
29 I really dislike how the authentication is not encrypted (or is it now?), but
30 that may be just me and my opinions/levels of paranoia on the whole thing...
31 It appears you don't have to go on o.g.o to be "official" whatever that means
32 according to their own web page - see the bottom of
33 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/devguide.xml
34
35 Give me opinions guys. I am not going to hold the overlay hostage but I would
36 rather it was moved for a real reason rather than this being the latest new
37 shiny thing... I can place a full back up of the SVN repo online somewhere if
38 you want to move it or have a copy...