From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Cc: sci@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] Git reorganisation
Date: Tue, 23 May 2017 07:11:09
1 Dear users of the sci overlay,
2 we've recently rearranged the git setup. The current sci setup is now
3 exactly like the main tree setup, namely:
4
5 1. The authoritative repo is the one hosted by infra
6 (git://anongit.gentoo.org/proj/sci.git)
7 2. All commits to the sci repo will be synced over to Github
8 automatically, in ONE DIRECTION only. This means all the dual HEAD
9 merging is obsolete now.
10 3. The Github repo is now meant as a (friendly) interface to potential
11 contributors.
12 4. As a new QA policy, merge commits in the overlay are banned now. The
13 sci overlay has much lower contention than the main repository, such
14 that you can realistically always avoid merge commits, even for large
15 batches of commits. This will require you to rebase your commits on top
16 of remote:
17
18 git pull --rebase=preserve
19
20 I will likely further tighten the QA standards of the repository, due
21 to a history of poor COMMITMSGs and other QA violations. This is
22 supposed to be a testing ground for the main repo, where plans are to
23 also introduce such QA measures.
24
25 Furthermore, I am considering requiring full GPG-signed commits for the
26 overlay, and for this I would like to get some input. I believe this
27 prepares contributors for eventually joining Gentoo. For low-volume
28 contributors not wanting to join, we can always merge pull requests
29 from Github. Ideas? Are you opposed to this?
30
31 Regards
32 David