From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] hdfview keyword and dev-java/hdf-java
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 21:25:10
Gentoo science team,

I've just finished extending the hdf-java ebuild from the science
overlay to optionally compile and install hdfview [1].  The resulting
ebuild is in my `wtk` overlay [2] if people want to test it out.  I'm
posting this here in the hopes that the science team will pull my
changes into the science overlay.  You get a working ebuild, and I
don't have to worry about maintenance ;).

I have very little experience with Java and Java packaging, so I'm
sure there are things that could have been done more cleanly; please
send along any suggestions.  The main difficulty was working around
upstream dependency bundling, which I took a fair stab at.  With the
hdfview USE flag, hdf-java now pulls in my new or updated packages for
dev-java/fits, dev-java/netcdf, dev-java/joda-time, and
dev-java/joda-convert.  There are still a number of other libraries
bundled in netcdf that should get pulled out into explicit
dependencies, but I was running out of time to work on HDFView.

Anyhow, hopefully there's something in here that's worth moving from
my quasi-personal overlay into the more official `science` overlay.
I'm not sure what the best way of submitting the changes is.  I can
attach ebuilds, patchfiles, etc. in a message to the list, or I can
branch the science overlay's Git repo.  For now I've just left
everything in my `wtk` repo, since that's easy enough to pull via

This email may be signed or encrypted with GnuPG (
For more information, see