From: "W. Trevor King" <wking@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] hdfview keyword and dev-java/hdf-java
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 21:25:10
1 Gentoo science team,
2
3 I've just finished extending the hdf-java ebuild from the science
4 overlay to optionally compile and install hdfview [1]. The resulting
5 ebuild is in my `wtk` overlay [2] if people want to test it out. I'm
6 posting this here in the hopes that the science team will pull my
7 changes into the science overlay. You get a working ebuild, and I
8 don't have to worry about maintenance ;).
9
10 I have very little experience with Java and Java packaging, so I'm
11 sure there are things that could have been done more cleanly; please
12 send along any suggestions. The main difficulty was working around
13 upstream dependency bundling, which I took a fair stab at. With the
14 hdfview USE flag, hdf-java now pulls in my new or updated packages for
15 dev-java/fits, dev-java/netcdf, dev-java/joda-time, and
16 dev-java/joda-convert. There are still a number of other libraries
17 bundled in netcdf that should get pulled out into explicit
18 dependencies, but I was running out of time to work on HDFView.
19
20 Anyhow, hopefully there's something in here that's worth moving from
21 my quasi-personal overlay into the more official `science` overlay.
22 I'm not sure what the best way of submitting the changes is. I can
23 attach ebuilds, patchfiles, etc. in a message to the list, or I can
24 branch the science overlay's Git repo. For now I've just left
25 everything in my `wtk` repo, since that's easy enough to pull via
26 layman.
27
28 Thanks,
29 Trevor