From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: Amlesh Sivanantham <zamlz@××.me>
Cc: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] Re: To become a Science Maintainer.
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2018 01:08:30
1 Hi Amlesh,
2
3 I suppose you don't mind if I quote your email in a public mailing list.
4
5 Amlesh Sivanantham <zamlz@××.me> writes:
6
7 > My name is Amlesh Sivanantham and I am looking to learn how to become
8 > a package maintainer. I found out that there is a gentoo mentoring
9 > system. The page mentions that the best way to try and contribute to
10 > projects listed in this page and get in contact with the poster. I do
11 > not have any experience with writing gentoo ebuilds which is why I was
12 > looking for a mentor. I do however have a lot of experience with
13 > numerical and machine learning libraries. I am currently a masters
14 > student in CS with a focus on Deep Reinforcement Learning for
15 > Robotics. Because of this, I figured that this project would the
16 > perfect fit for me to learn how to contribute to. If you guys would be
17 > able to let me learn under your wing, I would greatly appreciate it. I
18 > look forward to your response.
19
20 Welcome! I appreciate your enthusiasm. ebuilds are nicely designed
21 shell scripts. Are you familiar with them?
24 At present our BLAS and LAPACK switching framework is under of a stalled
25 migration.
26
27 At first, it was migrated from nothing to switch-runtime-then-compile
28 alternative-2.eclass in the science overlay.
29
30 https://github.com/gentoo/sci/blob/master/eclass/alternatives-2.eclass
31
32 After the discuss in
33
34 https://github.com/gentoo/sci/issues/805
35
36 We figured out that we need to migrate again from alternative-2.eclass
37 into compile-time switching.
38
39 But our student Doeme abandoned the work half-way, after he has got what
40 he wanted.
43 Integrating optimized BLAS and LAPACK into Gentoo science is important
44 for any serious high performance computing.
45
46 Are you interested in picking up where Doeme has left out and finish the
47 migration? If so, I will be more than happy to be your mentor and
48 collaborator.
51 To learn how to write ebuild and eclass, refer to the devmanual first:
52
53 https://devmanual.gentoo.org
54
55 Yours,