From: Olivier Fisette <ribosome@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] ncbi c++ toolkit
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:34:01
1 On Wednesday, 13 September 2006 09:40, Davide Cittaro wrote:
2 > Hi there, I see (and I have installed) that there is an ebuild for
3 > ncbi C toolkit, that includes many well known biology applications. I
4 > wonder why there is no ebuild for the ncbi C++ toolkit, also
5 > available on NCBI ftp server (and this is true also for many other
6 > package/port managers, i.e. in freebsd).
7
8 Hi Davide,
9
10 The reason is lack of human resources. I think no one in the Gentoo
11 development team is familiar with the NCBI C++ toolkit, so nobody has had any
12 particular interest in adding it to Portage. We already have lots of new
13 package requests that we try to work on from time to time, but most of our
14 time is spent updating existing packages or fixing bugs.
15
16 You can help by filing an enhancement request on the Gentoo Bugzilla
17 (bugzilla.gentoo.org). It will be assigned to the sci-biology project and
18 maybe, eventually, we will have the time to work on it. If you can write an
19 ebuild for the package yourself, that would speed up the process
20 tremendously.
21
22 Cheers,
25 Olivier Fisette (ribosome)
26 Gentoo Linux Developer
27 Scientific applications, Developer relations