From: heroxbd@g.o
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] CASA vs casacore
Date: Wed, 28 May 2014 02:33:49
1 Hello Joseph and Sébastien,
2
3 Sébastien Fabbro <bicatali@g.o> writes:
4
5 > On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Joseph Booker <joe@××××××××××.net> wrote:
6 >>
7 >> I've been trying to package casa and its dependencies with some amount of
8 >> success. It requires a few new packages (including a version of xerces-c
9 >> that was removed for security reasons), but it requires a different
10 >> implementation of casacore then is currently in the main tree.
11 >>
12 >> Specifically, casacore from https://code.google.com/p/casacore has been
13 >> forked with additions made to the interface. This fork is only available
14 >> from an svn repo, and the only "releases" are tags when a new version of
15 >> casa is released.
16
17 FYI, the casacore teams is planning to roll out a tarball of 1.6.0 release
18
19 http://code.google.com/p/casacore/issues/detail?id=58#c4
20
21 >> [...]
22 >>
23 >> I'm wondering if the current casacore ebuilds should be replaced with ones
24 >> that pull from the "releases" from nrao, or if I should make new (blocking)
25 >> casa-casacore ebuilds for this fork.
26 >
27 > Probably best to contact casa and casacore upstream to see what the
28 > differences and roadmaps are. It's possible that they might make our
29 > life easier by unbundling and splitting the packages. The science
30 > overlay would be a good place to maintain the casa version of
31 > casacore.
32
33 +1
34