From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-science] Scientific Gentoo reorg: on herd naming
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 20:09:14
1 George Shapovalov wrote:
2 > The herd naming issue has surfaced in more detail again - there were already
3 > two comments that it is beneficial to keep -sci in herd names. I originally
4 > suggested that we drop it (and in general go with a "catchier" names), but
5 > now it looks like I am slowly turning towards being more conservative
6 > myself :). That is to keep sci- and possibly resembel category names as much
7 > as possible. The reasoning: making life easier on bug wranglers and on
8 > everybody trying to search for the sci-related maintaince info or just to see
9 > the relationship between different packages.. Any thoughts?
10
11 As I said on the bug, I don't really think this makes sense.
12 metadata.xml will show either 'electronics' or 'sci-electronics',
13 however you name it. You can use herdstat or many other tools to display
14 things in many different ways related to package maintainers/herds/etc.
15 Naming herds after categories doesn't really make sense when there isn't
16 a 1-to-1 mapping of herds and categories.
17
18 Thanks,
19 Donnie