From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] sci team help
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:26:09
1 On 13:04 Tue 16 Oct , Jukka Ruohonen wrote:
2 > Somehow, I feel, personally, that the sci-packages should constitute
3 > an exception from the general rules regarding overlays. I mean that
4 > when a person chooses to use something from, say, Xfce overlay, the
5 > use of an overlay is rather natural and pleasant, but when a person is
6 > "forced" to use an overlay in order to write a Ph.D thesis, the use of
7 > an overlay can be far from pleasant. In my opinion overlays can not
8 > escape additional concerns regarding quality and trust, and these
9 > concerns are much more strongly felt when we are dealing with
10 > scientific packages. Again the keyword may just be the perception.
11
12 "keyword" is the key word. If we were to do this, we'd have to manage
13 the keywords and masking more carefully (or at all!) in the overlays.
14 That gives a better indication of quality than the arbitrary assumption
15 of "portage tree good, overlay bad" that we have now.
16
17 Thanks,
18 Donnie
19 --