From: Janusz Mordarski <janek@××××××××××.pl>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] sys-cluster infiniband , mpi related soft. update request
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 18:48:53
1 Well ok i've made my own ebuild with openib-drivers , v 1.4 (in
2 attachment), i tried it and it compiles except ehca flag (won't compile
3 with it), if someone's interested, please check it and put into the overlay
4
5 i have another question, i have big PERFORMANCE problems with infiniband
6 on gentoo, no matter if i use kernel drivers or openib-drivers, here's
7 what OSU latency benchmark says:
8
9 first, OSU over Gigabit Ethernet (for comparison):
10 # OSU MPI Latency Test v3.1.1
11 # Size Latency (us)
12 0 76.37
13 1 77.77
14 2 77.66
15 4 77.92
16 8 77.95
17 16 77.98
18
19 Infiniband - drivers from openib-drivers ebuild
20 # OSU MPI Latency Test v3.1.1
21 # Size Latency (us)
22 0 50.23
23 1 52.10
24 2 51.99
25 4 51.62
26 8 51.79
27 16 52.17
28
29 Infiniband - drivers from kernel 2.6.27 - results are almost the same,
30 except everywhere, where there is 5x (fifty) , it's 4x (fourty)
33 Infiniband on CentOS (installed from RPM OFED)
34
35 # OSU MPI Latency Test v3.1.1
36 # Size Latency (us)
37 0 1.65
38 1 1.82
39 2 1.81
40 4 1.72
41 8 1.60
42 16 1.61
43
44 so, the last one is perfect, Infiniband over IP works as expected
45
46 in previous test my benchmarks suffered terrible performance loss over
47 infiniband on gentoo (the same with OSU Bandwidth benchmark, on Gentoo:
48 500-750MB/s , on CentOS: 1400 MB/s)
49
50 any suggestions? maybe some packages from this overlay are doing
51 something wrong?
54 Dept of Computational Biophysics & Bioinformatics,
55 Faculty of Biochemistry, Biophysics and Biotechnology,
56 Jagiellonian University,
57 ul. Gronostajowa 7,
58 30-387 Krakow, Poland.
59 Tel: (+48-12)-664-6380