From: John Tee <johnmtee@××××××××.fm>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 23:20:21
1 Marcus D. Hanwell wrote:
2 > On Monday 22 August 2005 08:48, C Y wrote:
3 >
4 >>Perhaps we could have a "support team" behind someone with official
5 >>Gentoo developer status - people could point out significant ebuilds
6 >>with most logic in place to the developer, help work out quirks in the
7 >>programs/ebuilds, and generally speed things up? Certainly the
8 >>developer would bear final responsibility but this way those of us with
9 >>five hours every month or so could help out too, particularly for
10 >>specialty packages. (BTY, if some genius could figure out brl-cad I
11 >>would be grateful - it's going to take me a year at this point :-/.)
14 > I was wondering myself if some people in here might be receptive to the idea
15 > of a support team, much like the arch testers we have for the amd64 porting
16 > team. It often leads on to people becoming devs, but is a great way to help
17 > out when you can.
18 >
19 > Tony Murray is filling that kind of role unofficially with all the work he
20 > puts into the boinc and setiathome ebuilds, whilst I review, test, improve
21 > and commit them once they are up to standard. I also have good contact with
22 > the quickplot developer who has integrated my patches upstream and helped
23 > significantly with the ebuilds for that package.
24 >
25 > I think these relationships are important, and I personally nurture them as
26 > much as possible. Many scientific packages are very involved and having
27 > people help test and work out problems can significantly increase our
28 > efficiency as a team.
29 >
30 >>There are a fair number of at least partial ebuilds for useful
31 >>scientific software stuck in bugzilla - brl-cad and acl2 come
32 >>immediately to mind, and I know there are others. Plus a fair number
33 >>that don't have ebuilds where it would be useful to have them. Gentoo
34 >>is alreay one of the best for scientific software, due to compiling
35 >>things being easy and our ebuild pool, but we could definitely do
36 >>better.
39 > The problem comes down to manpower and a need to recruit some more people to
40 > the team. Having a support team similar to the arch testers could certainly
41 > help in our case if those people were not ready to become devs/didn't have
42 > the time. Once a package has been committed they would also need to help with
43 > version bumps and fixing bugs with the new packages ideally.
44 >
45 >>My machine is probably a poor test machine - what gentoo environment
46 >>would we need to maintain?
49 > Just an up to date Gentoo install is fine. If you are testing some more
50 > experimental stuff (I test new baselayout, glibc, gcc and other core stuff
51 > sometimes) then a chroot might also be adviseable. Scientific apps just
52 > require an up to date system.
53 >
54 > Thanks,
55 >