From: fbissey@××××××××××××.nz
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] [sage-on-gentoo] 4.7.1 and the testsuite useflag
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 21:58:35
1 Hi all,
2
3 As it has mentioned in an earlier posting sage-4.7.1 will only start if it has
4 been emerged with the "testsuite" useflag. I believe this was caused by the
5 inclusion of the following ticket:
6 http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/9976
7 What happens, if I am not mistaken, is that sage is capable of introspect its
8 own code to find information about the syntax of any commands. To do this it
9 needs to have the code. That's not a problem with python file as it is code
10 already. But sage can also look at its cython source files. The above ticket
11 changed the behavior of the introspection of cython files. Traditionally we
12 don't ship the cython source files unless the testsuite flag is enabled. The
13 big worry in my opinion is sage is now checking its source code including cython
14 files on start up. That can't be good for sage start up time.
15
16 I'll try to get in touch with one of the ticket author to see if it is the
17 desired behavior or if something needs to be fixed.
18
19 Francois