From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] New category proposal - sci-vis
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:39:36
Top posting does break the flow of conversation, but I already said a fair few posts up that I had completed the initial move of 17 packages to the new sci-visualization category after asking for commend here months ago, and comment on -dev weeks ago. No further packages have been moved that I can see, and the only small breakage was the opendx-samples dep on opendx. I have manually scanned through the tree for any other broken deps and cannot find any. Markus Dittrich wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, Donnie Berkholz wrote: > >> Now the question is, can we put less general-purpose visualization >> programs there? For example, molecular graphics programs. > > I would tend to say yes, since molecular graphics programs can vizualize > everything from small molecules to large biomolecular systems. > Hence, I would have a hard time deciding if, e.g. VMD should > be sci-biology or sci-chemistry, whereas sci-visualization seems > natural. I would really like to hear opinions before I commit > VMD to portage.
That is my general feeling, and these packages tend to be used by a large cross section of the scientific community. At the end of the day better metadata and search facilities would help as many packages belong in multiple categories. For example qtiplot has a large array of mathematical fitting routines and so did kind of belong in sci-mathematics too, but primarily it is about visualisation of data. Stuff like gwyddion (SPM analysis) doesn't fit anywhere else easily.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-science] New category proposal - sci-vis "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>