From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] Sage, Axiom and FriCAS
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 19:02:49
1 1. I'm on the Axiom mailing lists. There has been a fork of Axiom called
2 FriCAS, which is in some sense I don't quite understand, associated with
3 the Sage project. The fork started out life as an Axiom developer
4 wanting to speed up the build process of Axiom, as well as making the
5 project more responsive to defect fixes as well as new features.
6
7 Like many forks, there's a bit of acrimony between the two projects. I'm
8 a casual user of Axiom -- it's on my list of things to learn, and I've
9 got it running on my machines both out of Portage and from upstream
10 source. I'm not ready to "join either camp" -- all I want is something
11 that works. I am, however, doing some testing this weekend on FriCAS to
12 see if I can make it work on my Athlon64 X2. If anyone is interested in
13 FriCAS, the mailing list is at
14 http://groups.google.com/group/fricas-devel?hl=en
17 2. Sage itself is an interesting project that I think belongs in
18 sci-mathematics, whether or not it contains Axiom or FriCAS. It's mostly
19 Python wrappers on other scientific libraries. Their home page is
20 http://modular.math.washington.edu/sage/. I've got the source tarball
21 and plan to do a test build this weekend on the Athlon64 X2. If it
22 works, I'll probably put an enhancement request in Bugzilla for it. The
23 source tarball has *all* of the dependencies, I think, so I may have to
24 do some tweaking to make it take things out of Portage insteas.
25 --
26 gentoo-science@g.o mailing list