From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] sci team help
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 07:31:34
1 On 12:01 Tue 16 Oct , Andrey G. Grozin wrote:
2 > The original cryos' idea when he created the science overlay was a place to
3 > develop ebuilds until they become mature enough to be moved to the main
4 > tree (I can dig his original post about this subject). He suggested that
5 > ebuilds whould, in most cases, be moved to the main tree quickly enough.
6
7 OK, sure, but historic reasons are not future reasons. If things should
8 change, this is not a reason to hold it back.
9
10 > Gentoo users are not instructed to use overlays. Most of them just don't
11 > know about them. Hunting for an interesting package in many tens of
12 > overlays present at overlays.gentoo.org is not easy.
13
14 There is http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/overlays/userguide.xml -- for
15 some reason, it doesn't appear to be linked from the main docs section.
16 I just asked in #gentoo-doc about this.
17
18 I agree that hunting could be difficult, but most of the project (rather
19 than developer-owned) overlays are topical by definition. If I'm looking
20 for a scientific application, it shouldn't take a leap of logic to try
21 the science overlay. Also, eix (a searching tool) includes a searchable
22 package cache of every overlay, generated daily.
23
24 > 1. Inform users *prominently* that some interesting packages don't live in
25 > the main portage tree (currently, not many users know this).
26
27 Yep.
28
29 > Who will decide which packages are first-class citizens and which are not?
30 > What are the criteria?
31
32 I suggested a few.
33 - Is a developer willing to commit to maintaining it?
34 - Is it expected to be fairly popular, or is it extremely specific?
35 - (for apps already in the tree) Is it unmaintained? Should it be
36 moved to an overlay?
37
38 Thanks,
39 Donnie