From: "Marcus D. Hanwell" <cryos@g.o>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] New category proposal - sci-vis
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:59:57
On Sunday 29 January 2006 22:53, jak@×××××××××××××.pl wrote:
> > The category is intended for visualisation applications, > > so please don't move any libraries such as plplot etc > > Why is that? I think that sci-vis would be a perfect place for, > for example, VTK.
It is because you cannot fire up a lib and run it to do something, other programs use it to do something like visualisation. Therefore sci-libs would be a much more appropriate place as it is a scientific library - to be useful somebody needs to build an application that uses it. Again this is my opinion and I welcome discussion on the matter. I don't see any reason to start placing libs in there though, or any of the other sci-* categories.