From: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
To: Marius Brehler <marbre@××××××××××××××.de>, gentoo-science@l.g.o
Cc: sci@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-science] Git reorganisation
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2017 10:02:16
1 On Mon, 2017-05-29 at 16:08 +0200, Marius Brehler wrote:
2 > Hi everybody,
3 >
4 > On 05/24/2017 09:17 AM, Guilherme Amadio wrote:
5 > > Hi David,
6 > >
7 > > On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 09:11:03AM +0200, David Seifert wrote:
8 > > > Dear users of the sci overlay,
9 > > > we've recently rearranged the git setup. The current sci setup is
10 > > > now
11 > > > exactly like the main tree setup, namely:
12 > > >
13 > > > 1. The authoritative repo is the one hosted by infra
14 > > > (git://anongit.gentoo.org/proj/sci.git)
15 > > > 2. All commits to the sci repo will be synced over to Github
16 > > > automatically, in ONE DIRECTION only. This means all the dual
17 > > > HEAD
18 > > > merging is obsolete now.
19 > > > 3. The Github repo is now meant as a (friendly) interface to
20 > > > potential
21 > > > contributors.
22 > > > 4. As a new QA policy, merge commits in the overlay are banned
23 > > > now. The
24 > > > sci overlay has much lower contention than the main repository,
25 > > > such
26 > > > that you can realistically always avoid merge commits, even for
27 > > > large
28 > > > batches of commits. This will require you to rebase your commits
29 > > > on top
30 > > > of remote:
31 > > >
32 > > >   git pull --rebase=preserve
33 > > >
34 > > > I will likely further tighten the QA standards of the repository,
35 > > > due
36 > > > to a history of poor COMMITMSGs and other QA violations. This is
37 > > > supposed to be a testing ground for the main repo, where plans
38 > > > are to
39 > > > also introduce such QA measures.
40 > > >
41 > > > Furthermore, I am considering requiring full GPG-signed commits
42 > > > for the
43 > > >  overlay, and for this I would like to get some input. I believe
44 > > > this
45 > > > prepares contributors for eventually joining Gentoo. For low-
46 > > > volume
47 > > > contributors not wanting to join, we can always merge pull
48 > > > requests
49 > > > from Github. Ideas? Are you opposed to this?
50 > >
51 > > I welcome all these changes. If we can help in educating people on
52 > > the
53 > > more tricky things, like signing with a GPG key, even better. I
54 > > have
55 > > some ebuilds I use personally now that I will try to add in the
56 > > next
57 > > few days to the overlay.
58 > >
59 > > That said, once we reach good enough quality of ebuilds in the
60 > > overlay,
61 > > we should start just moving them to the main tree. Gentoo is used
62 > > by
63 > > quite a few physicists (myself included) and other scientists, so
64 > > eliminating the need for an extra overlay would be nice. I remember
65 > > having problems with things like blas/atlas and eselect due to
66 > > divergences with the main tree in not so distant past. Also, using
67 > > overlays with prefix is not always a seamless experience.
68 > >
69 > > I'm not saying the overlay should go away, but just be a staging
70 > > area
71 > > for scientific packages before they land on the main tree. What are
72 > > your
73 > > thoughts on this?
74 > >
75 > > Cheers,
76 > > —Guilherme
79 > I actually agree and support the idea. However, I recently noticed
80 > that
81 > I no longer have the permission to close issues in github. Is it
82 > possible to get those for sci again?
83 > Before the announcement, I was using git.gentoo.org:proj/sci.git, for
84 > which I have sufficient rights. Is there any difference, or rather
85 > should I switch over to anongit.gentoo.org/proj/sci.git?
86 > Best Regards
87 >
88 > Marius
89
90 Which brings me to the next point - that thing shouldn't even be there.
91 The Github issue tracker was used in ancient days, and I'd much rather
92 people use bugzie than having 3 divergent issue trackers. I will add
93 you in the mean time.