From: Joseph Booker <joe@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-science@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-science] CASA vs casacore
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 23:34:55
1 Hello,
2
3 I've been trying to package casa and its dependencies with some amount of
4 success. It requires a few new packages (including a version of xerces-c
5 that was removed for security reasons), but it requires a different
6 implementation of casacore then is currently in the main tree.
7
8 Specifically, casacore from https://code.google.com/p/casacore has been
9 forked with additions made to the interface. This fork is only available
10 from an svn repo, and the only "releases" are tags when a new version of
11 casa is released.
12
13 The current casacore ebuild grabs the last release from
14 https://code.google.com/p/casacore . This is two years old and greatly
15 out-of-date. The "trunk" is too out of date, but the nrao-nov12 appears to
16 merge in the changes from casa every once in awhile.
17
18 I'm wondering if the current casacore ebuilds should be replaced with ones
19 that pull from the "releases" from nrao, or if I should make new (blocking)
20 casa-casacore ebuilds for this fork.
21
22 Thanks,
23 Joseph Booker