From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Maybe a new approach?
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:20:39
1 On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 01:11:15PM -0700 or thereabouts, Glen Combe wrote:
2 > Kurt can you clarify this for me or give me more detail... on what you
3 > mean what you say below? What is the more robust solution? I dont recall
4 > reading it here?
5 >
6 > "The solution that Peter is requesting (generating hashes of files not
7 > already hashed and then signing all Manifests/hashes) is considerably more
8 > risky and is not something I will implement since we have a more robust,
9 > better solution in the works already."
10
11 It's been mentioned numerous times. The strategic approach to fixing this
12 issue is taking the work we've already put into signed manifests and
13 extending it to cover other files as well (eclasses, profiles, etc.) There
14 is an open RFE bug for this and Jason (one of our portage devs) has already
15 said they're working on it.
16
17 --kurt