From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Encrypting a user home folder on a laptop
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 11:26:13
On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 11:53 +0100, Florian Sowade wrote:
> Randy Barlow wrote: > > I am probably being paranoid, but I'd like to encrypt my /home/username > > folder on my laptop. > > just another point: you should think about encrypting at least /tmp and swap > too, because temporary data will be stored there and if your home dir is > encrypted but those two are not one could simply read your data from there. > Have a look at this forum thread for the setup. because it uses random keys > you don't have to enter a passphrase at bootup: >
It's even worse when you hibernate because your whole RAM-content (including disk caches from your encrypted home-partition) is written to disk and encryption is not so easy because you have to ask for the pass-phrase on resuming in early userspace. Look here for how to solve it: I fear I'll have to spend my Easter holidays converting my system with that guide.