From: William Yang <wyang@××××.net>
To: Sjan Evardsson <sjan_e@×××××××××××××.edu>
Cc: "Brian G. Peterson" <brian@×××××××××.com>, gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] RE: help blocking automated ssh scanning attack script
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 14:44:18
1 Sjan Evardsson wrote:
2 > Brian,
3 >
4 > Once you start using scripts to write to automate firewall rules you
5 > give the hackers control of your firewall.
6
7 Yes, but is this necessarily a bad thing? I'm not convinced this is
8 necessarily problematic. It takes a reactive defense step, hopefully
9 mitigating damage before things get too far lost. The risks may well be
10 acceptable in some environments.
11
12 There's an awful lot of "intrusion prevention" or "active response IDS"
13 [and insert your favorite en-vogue terminology] out there in the market,
14 and people buy it. The real question is what are the goals, the
15 acceptable losses, and the actual assessment of what risks are involved.
16 What Brian's talking about is a host-based network "hostility"
17 detector with an active response.
18
19 I am currently testing some code that does this (and, no, it's not ready
20 for release or for production).. but the reason it's written is not to
21 solve the general problem. Rather, it's addressing a very limited
22 subset of problems, based entirely on what the defensive stance is and
23 needs to be to accomplish business goals.
24
25 THAT'S what you really need to take to your senior management... and
26 that's how you get funding. How do I know? Before I started my
27 company, I was the management that people were talking to for this kind
28 of thing for a very large entity. And, by the way, I raised more than
29 twice my salary in actual new funds while I was there, plus savings due
30 to security measures. Security is only there to protect business value,
31 mitigate risks, and ensure that any losses are actually acceptable to
32 the business.
33
34 -Bill
35 --