From: Jeremy Huddleston <eradicator@g.o>
To: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-core@l.g.o, gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Gentoo security policy
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:20:02
1 On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 09:28, Joshua Brindle wrote:
2 > This wasn't anything that we didn't already know about, we already know
3 > we don't have access to vulnerability reports before the 'mass public',
4 > we already know we are undermanned, we already know our process is in a
5 > transition state. What *you* need to know is that we are doing what we
6 > can with the resources we have, and trying every day to get more
7 > resources. If you don't like it you can help us, we *are* a community
8 > distribution, not a commercial distribution that can pay for a full time
9 > security team, nor are we a distribution with the amount of 'clout' it
10 > takes to get early advirsories.
11 >
12 > My suggestion to you is one of the following
13 > 1) help make the team better by participating
14 > 2) paying for a full time security team
15 > 3) deal with it.
16
17 This is either a great idea, or a total bomb... I can't quite tell, so I
18 thought I might as well mention it...
19
20 What about creating a 'Support the Developers' page? I think paypal
21 donations to gentoo would be rather difficult to implement (who would
22 get the money?), but it would be a nice place to list requests for
23 (reasonable) hardware donations as well as employment availability. We
24 would list the availability and region of -core developers, and
25 businesses needing their services could contract out support (or even
26 full-time staffing) from the developer.
27
28 --Jeremy