From: Charlton Harrison <charlton@×××××.com>
To: Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 22:17:57
1 On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 05:09:20PM -0500, Steven Elling wrote:
2 > Interesting. I just had my IBM Deskstar 30Gig fail Tuesday. I was able
3 > to mount the drive read only and get most of the data off it but boy did
4 > does it sound bad.
5 >
6 > S.M.A.R.T. won't even work on the drive to tell me what exactly failed.
9 S.M.A.R.T. is just another acronym (those IBM-types LOVE acronyms)
10 of something that sounds great in marketing, but I have yet to hear
11 any real testimony to its value.
12
13 S.M.A.R.T. technology has been intentionally handicapped from telling
14 the user the tell-tale hardware errors that a harddrive regularly has
15 (that are then corrected in the drive's software) which can definitely
16 be useful in predicting when a harddrive might go bad.
17
18 So I just leave all my S.M.A.R.T. capable harddrives with the
19 S.M.A.R.T. disabled.
22 Charlton
26 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list