From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: Bill Moritz <ego@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-security List <gentoo-security@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Changes to traceroute in newest release
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 19:36:22
1 Or to turn it around, on a user managed workstation its both
2 inconvenient and adds little to security. In fact, its easiest to just
3 keep a root window open and run it from there - which is insecure if you
4 walk away and leave it running.
5
6 The point I am trying to make is that forcing useful tools to run as
7 root for everyone makes little sense on a user managed workstation and
8 can be counter-productive as above when users just work around the
9 restrictions in an insecure manner.
10
11 Perhaps a "secure_options" use flag to cater for those who work in
12 multiuser/insecure environments? I would rather not suffer an unusable
13 system because a few users have special requirements.
14
15 BillK
16