From: Jason <gentoo@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] ssh-agent and cryptsetup
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 13:31:58
1 The subject kinda says it all. I've been hunting around for an
2 automated solution to backing up my encrypted home directory to a remote
3 server through ssh. Obviously, the backup is also an encrypted volume.
4
5 Is there an existing solution to getting cryptsetup to use ssh-agent
6 for the volume key?
7
8 The end result would put my ssh private key on a thumbdrive (password
9 protected). Logging in would decrypt local homedir, and rsync with
10 remote encrypted homedir. Logging out would rsync push changes up to
11 remote encrypted home dir and tear down all encrypted volumes and
12 ssh-agent.
13
14 So far, I've found the articles on encrypted home dirs with dm-crypt,
15 using a thumbdrive to hold the key (various solutions), pam-ssh to
16 automatically fire up ssh-agent using the private key password to log in
17 (limited success with that). But nothing regarding using ssh-agent to
18 decrypt a volume.
19
20 Any ideas?
21