From: Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] No GLSA since January?!?
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 19:31:51
1 On Friday, August 26, 2011 08:07:57 PM Alex Legler wrote:
2 > On Friday 26 August 2011 20:00:15 Joost Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Friday, August 26, 2011 07:06:35 PM Christian Kauhaus wrote:
4 > > > Am 26.08.2011 18:55, schrieb Alex Legler:
5 > > > > Compared to other distributions, our advisories have been rather
6 > > > > detailed with lots of manually researched information. I'm not
7 > > > > sure
8 > > > > if
9 > > > > we can keep up this very high standard with the limited
10 > > > > manpower,
11 > > > > but
12 > > > > we'll try our best.
13 > > >
14 > > > I see the point. I think it would be an achievement over the current
15 > > > situation (which is: no current GLSAs at all) to send out less
16 > > > detailed
17 > > > GLSAs. Even something short as: "$PACKAGE has vulnerabilities, they
18 > > > are
19 > > > fixed in $VERSION, for details see $CVE" would be immensely helpful.
20 > > >
21 > > > Is the any viable way to get it at least to this point? Probably the
22 > > > largest part of such a task could be automated. This would lift the
23 > > > burden from the security maintainers.
24 > >
25 > > I agree on this.
26 > > I don't (yet) know enough to actually help in this. I tend to follow
27 > > advisories and try to keep my machines as much up-to-date as possible.
28 > >
29 > > More brief GSLAs like what Christian mentioned are, for the majority,
30 > > sufficient. If someone really needs more information, there is always
31 > > google.
32 >
33 > Like I said, please use Bugzilla and some basic filtering to get
34 > notifications until we can provide full advisories again. I realize it's
35 > not a solution and you will get the information somewhat unfiltered, but it
36 > is a reliable and most importantly currently available source of
37 > information.
38 >
39 > Alex
40
41 Alex,
42
43 If my reply seemed, in any way, to suggest I do not appreciate the amount of
44 work that has been going into the GLSAs and the difficulty in finding the
45 people to keep doing it, then I am sorry.
46 It wasn't meant to sound that way.
47
48 I'll go read the Padawan page and see if there is anything I can do.
49
50 For others, the padawan-page can be found here:
51 http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/padawans.xml
54 Joost