From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Encrypting a user home folder on a laptop
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 22:09:48
1 On Sat, 2008-02-16 at 21:34 +0100, Naga Toro wrote:
2 > On Saturday 16 February 2008 10.04.30 Florian Philipp wrote:
3 > [...]
4 > > By the way, I use pam_mount and cryptsetup-luks to mount my encrypted
5 > > home-partition with my login password on the fly. If you want a short
6 > > howto and my configuration, just ask, I can answer again in 10 hours
7 > > (Sat Feb 16 19:00:00 UTC).
8 >
9 > Please do, atleast I'm curious.
10 >
11 > /BR
12 > Naga
13
14 Okay,
15
16 I think I can skip the creation of a cryptsetup-luks partition (or
17 whatever). It should be clear that you need to use your login password.
18
19 The next step would be to emerge pam_mount.
20
21 Then edit /etc/security/pam_mount.conf.xml
22
23 The relevant part to add is:
24
25 <volume
26 user="dsl"
27 fstype="crypt"
28 path="/dev/vg/home_dsl"
29 mountpoint="/home/dsl"
30 options="async,noatime,exec"
31 />
32 <volume
33 user="dsl"
34 fstype="reiserfs"
35 path="/dev/mapper/_dev_mapper_vg-home_dsl"
36 mountpoint="/home/dsl"
37 options="defaults,async,noatime,exec"
38 />
39
40 above </pam_mount>
41
42 As you can see, "dsl" is my user name and /dev/vg/home_dsl my encrypted
43 home volume. In case I've missed something in this file, I've attached
44 it gzip-compressed.
45
46 Then you need to edit /etc/pam.d/system-auth:
47
48 #%PAM-1.0
49
50 auth required pam_env.so
51 auth optional pam_mount.so
52 auth sufficient pam_unix.so likeauth nullok use_first_pass
53 auth required pam_deny.so use_first_pass
54
55 account required pam_unix.so
56
57 password required pam_cracklib.so difok=2 minlen=8 dcredit=2
58 ocredit=2 retry=3
59 password sufficient pam_unix.so nullok md5 shadow use_authtok
60 password required pam_deny.so
61
62 session required pam_limits.so
63 session required pam_unix.so
64 session optional pam_mount.so
65
66 (or something similar)
67
68 I think the relevant parts are "use_first_pass" and "pam_mount" in
69 "auth" and "session".
70
71 I don't say that my setup is perfect. It was a huge trial and error
72 phase to get it working.
73
74 Of course, you need to use pam for it to work but that's the default
75 setting on Gentoo. Please check your USE-flags for pam and your
76 sshd_config for usage of pam.
77
78 If it doesn't work, try it without XDM/KDM/GDM (I use XDM but all should
79 work). pam should write some debug information. Then search /dev/mapper
80 for something that looks like your home-partition's mapping.

pam_mount.conf.xml.gz application/x-gzip