From: Michel Wilson <michel@×××××××.net>
To: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-security <gentoo-security@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] tripwire policy generator
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:45:35
1 On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 10:32:05AM -0600, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Michel Wilson wrote:
3 > I tried to write a Perl script to do this, but I ran into problems. Of
4 > course, that was when I'd only been using Perl for 3 months. I'd probably
5 > be able to do it better now. One thing I was having problems with was
6 > binaries that had been prelinked. If you run prelink a certain way, it can
7 > give you the MD5SUM of the original binary, which is what portage does when
8 > unmerging a package. It didn't always work right for me, though. Maybe I'll
9 > try again.
10 Well, as you said, it is possible to get the original md5sum, so the
11 integrity-checker should be able to do this as well.
12 >
13 > >The major advantage of this integrated system would be that the integrity
14 > >information can be automatically updated if the user installs a new
15 > >package. Normally, with Tripwire, system maintenance is a nuisance. Every
16 > >time a new package is installed, Tripwire will generate false alarms.
17 > >Or, at least, when I used it it did, because I always forgot to update
18 > >the database...
19 >
20 > That's the problem with using tripwire on a Gentoo system. It's meant for a
21 > system that doesn't change, which obviously isn't Gentoo. What if someone
22 > compromises your system after your last run of tripwire (not the updater)
23 > and before when you emerge a package and update the database. The
24 > compromise would go unnoticed.
25 >
26 Good point. Well, then we should check the package before upgrading it,
27 or check each file before we overwrite it with a new file. The first is
28 probably the easiest, but then there might be a very theoretical chance
29 that a file is overwritten which didn't belong to the old version of the
30 package. I don't know if such a situation would ever happen, though.
31
32 Michel Wilson.