From: Douglas Breault Jr <GenKreton@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Should I change my password?
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:15:02
2 Hash: RIPEMD160
3
4 Richard M. Conlan wrote:
5 > Any recommendations of good dongle-based hard-drive encryption software?
8 Your best bet for dongle-based encryption in linux would be to use
9 dm-crypt luks.
10
11 A good, general guide:
12 http://gentoo-wiki.com/SECURITY_System_Encryption_DM-Crypt_with_LUKS
13
14 And then this link will demonstrate how to store the keys on your usb
15 dongle (last question):
16 http://luks.endorphin.org/faq
19 I used this to encrypt my computers. I stored the keys for my drives on
20 the dongle. But I also encrypted the dongle. So I used the gentoo wiki
21 guide and changed some things around so the initrd image would decrypt
22 my dongle then cat the keys to cryptsetup. One really good pass phrase
23 on one encrypted dongle will decrypt all my drives. I also made an
24 encrypted backup of the passphrases onto a floppy and stored them
25 outside of my property.
26
27 Hope this helps. It is, at least, one suggestion.
28
29 Sincerely,
30 Doug
31