From: James Dennis <james@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] Built in integrity?
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 19:34:24
1 Hey everyone,
2
3 OpenBSD has some pretty cool stuff built in for integrity checking. I
4 recently did a Gentoo install and haven't noticed anything like what
5 OpenBSD is doing. Forgive me if I'm wrong in assuming Gentoo has
6 nothing like that.
7
8 Anyway, my point is, it would be nice if Gentoo came with something
9 similar to what OpenBSD has. It's like tripwire, but stripped down and
10 built into cron right from the get go to check your system for file
11 changes. As Gentoo is going down the path of making things more secure
12 out of the box (with the removal of setuid on things as an example) I
13 think we could benefit from something like this. I know cron isn't a
14 required install, but would it be possible to have something be ready
15 to go once a cron daemon was installed?
16
17 This isn't a clear idea yet, more of a brain fart so please pick it
18 apart.
19
20 - James
24 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list