From: "Malte S. Stretz" <msquadrat.nospamplease@×××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Cc: Alex Efros <powerman@×××××××.ua>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] SUID progs
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:00:16
1 On Tuesday 10 August 2004 03:06 CET Alex Efros wrote:
2 >[...]
3 > -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 6108 éÀÌ 24 08:52
4 > /usr/kde/3.2/bin/kpac_dhcp_helper
5 >
6 > I don't know what's this. I'm not surprised by two other suid progs -
7 > "pty helpers", one for KDE and one for Gnome, but this one isn't
8 > looks really needed to be suid..?
9
10 That one is AFAIK a very tiny helper to make WPAD (Web Proxy Auto-Configure)
11 work. With WPAD it's possible to find the proxy on your current network
12 automagically, one of these methods include DHCP options (see [1] for more
13 infos). To use DHCP, you need to listen on port 68 (or was it that you
14 need to send raw packets? can't really remember) for which you need to be
15 root. That's why this small suid helper is included.
16
17 >[...]
18
19 Cheers,
20 Malte
21
22 [1] http://www.wlug.org.nz/WPAD
25 [SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
26 <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>
27 [ESR] Eric S. Raymond: "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way"
28 <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
31 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list