From: Andrea Barisani <lcars@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Cc: pageexec@××××××××.hu, gentoo-security@l.g.o, Niels Provos <provos@××××××××××.edu>
Subject: [gentoo-security] Re: [gentoo-hardened] Systrace resurrection
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:31:33
1 On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:58:17AM -0400, Joshua Brindle wrote:
2 > pageexec@××××××××.hu wrote:
3 > >
4 > >it'd help the discussion/review (which is what Andrea asked for) if
5 > >you/others were more precise and cited specific attacks. generic hand-
6 > >waving of 'this is broken' doesn't help it. this is not to say that
7 > >i disagree with your opinion (fwiw, you and spender are on the same
8 > >side for once ;-).
12 thanks :)
13
14 > I don't agree that specific attack vectors are required to determine
15 > whether a model is broken. The reasons I think the model is broken are
16 > pretty clearly laid out in the url's posted. There are also others for
17 > this specific implementation. It is a dire problem to facilitate
18 > non-security aware/minded users to add rules to the policy dynamically.
19
20 I re-read your blog entries and I still fail to see how's systrace affected
21 by this. So just assume that I'm Dumb (tm) and please show me a
22 implementation-specific example of this, also consider that systrace is *not*
23 a MAC and it doesn't want to be one, we are systracing processes explicitely
24 here.
25
26 > "If I don't push yes this won't work", these systems have been shown
27 > time and time again to fail. And, like I already said, bypassing
28 > in-kernel DAC and capability restrictions means that there is now a
29 > single attack vector to gain all system privileges. This means systrace
30 > actually *removes* a layer of security from the system, which is clearly
31 > a bad idea.
32
33 It can only if you don't know how to configure/use it, which is something
34 that applies to SELinux, grsecurity, RSBAC and every other system. Feel free
35 to prove me wrong here with examples ;).
36
37 > >>http://securityblog.org/brindle/2006/03/25/security-anti-pattern-status-quo-encapsulation/
38 > >>http://securityblog.org/brindle/2006/04/19/security-anti-pattern-path-based-access-control/
39 > >>
40 > >
41 > On the blog is fine. Remember that those posts aren't targeting specific
42 > implementations (eg., grsec is not affected by all of the issues listed)
43 > but rather the model in general.
44
45 I'm curious, why's grsec not affecteced by this?
46
47 Cheers
50 Andrea Barisani <lcars@g.o> .*.
51 Gentoo Linux Infrastructure Developer V
52 ( )
53 PGP-Key 0x864C9B9E http://dev.gentoo.org/~lcars/pubkey.asc ( )
54 0A76 074A 02CD E989 CE7F AC3F DA47 578E 864C 9B9E ^^_^^
55 "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate"
56 --
57 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list