From: "Brian G. Peterson" <brian@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] OT: Remote Console for Linux boxes?
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 01:21:01
On Saturday 02 September 2006 18:32, Alex wrote:
> Sorry if this is a little OT, but I thought it might be an appropriate > question for this audience... > > Has anyone had much experience with RS232 (serial) <-> Ethernet > adapters? Or what do you use to remotely manage a Linux server? > > I'm looking for something inexpensive that will give me remote access > to the serial port and hopefully the capability to manually reboot > the machine (e.g. push the reset button). > > I've recently seen how GRUB and the Linux console can be directed to a > serial port, and I was quite impressed...
Don't know if I can help you on the "inexpensive" front. I've tried what you're asking and was never able to get it to work, but network managed power distribution boxes in the racks work well for literally "pushing the reset button" and causing a hard reboot when a server is good and truly locked up. Other than that, ssh usually doesn't fail unless the server is really really messed up. Regards, - Brian -- gentoo-security@g.o mailing list