From: Marc Ballarin <Ballarin.Marc@×××.de>
To: Alex Efros <powerman@×××××××.ua>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] SUID progs
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 07:43:00
1 On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 04:06:14 +0300
2 Alex Efros <powerman@×××××××.ua> wrote:
3
4 > -rwsr-xr-x 1 root root 804924 ___ 13 14:17 /usr/bin/gpg
5 >
6 > Yeah, I know, gpg WANT to be suid to do something with protecting
7 > it's memory, but is this really give any benefits? I mean, it's
8 > anyway possible for root to read it's memory from /dev/kmem, and
9 > it's anyway impossible to read it's memory from swap-partition for
10 > usual user because permissions for any disk partitions are 0600.
13 Well, gpg is potentially used to encrypt data that might be *very*
14 sensitive. The attack on swapped keys is of course meant to happen on
15 powered down machines (stolen or confiscated).
16
17 However, a kernel patch has been developed that allows any user to mlock
18 up to 32kb of memory (that's exactly the amount gpg needs).
19 It's already included in 2.6.8-rc3-mm2, so in the future the set-uid bit
20 can go probably go away - at least for modern kernels.
21
22 Regards
25 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list