From: Eckard Brauer <e.brauer@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Encryption Ciphers
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 07:07:55

Am Donnerstag, 6. März 2008 schrieb Peter Meier:
> > I just wanted to jump in and say that I'm personally a fan of Serpent. I > > like to use something that's a little less popular, but still open. It > > is similar in strength (IMHO), but there will be more people trying to > > break AES than Serpent. For example, I've read the XSL attack that can > > weaken AES is too complex when used on Serpent -- it would be more > > expensive than a brute force attack. > > in my opinion quite a bad assumption. the more a crypto algorithm is > open, the more people it test, the more it can be assumed that it is > safe against current known attacks.
IMHO even worse: You will need not only enough people to have it tested (means more to try it out), but enough people to have it _analyzed_ independently (this one will constrain the set of possible persons a lot) _and_ made the results public (I fear this one is also a working limit on that set). Not that I want to correct you in any way, but I think that's the essence of what you wanted to express - only to make things clear. Kind regards! Eckard -- gentoo-security@l.g.o mailing list

Subject Author
[gentoo-security] Gianpiero.Tavano@××××××××.com