From: Eckard Brauer <e.brauer@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Encryption Ciphers
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 07:07:55
1 Hello,
2
3 Am Donnerstag, 6. März 2008 schrieb Peter Meier:
4 > > I just wanted to jump in and say that I'm personally a fan of Serpent. I
5 > > like to use something that's a little less popular, but still open. It
6 > > is similar in strength (IMHO), but there will be more people trying to
7 > > break AES than Serpent. For example, I've read the XSL attack that can
8 > > weaken AES is too complex when used on Serpent -- it would be more
9 > > expensive than a brute force attack.
10 >
11 > in my opinion quite a bad assumption. the more a crypto algorithm is
12 > open, the more people it test, the more it can be assumed that it is
13 > safe against current known attacks.
14
15 IMHO even worse: You will need not only enough people to have it tested (means
16 more to try it out), but enough people to have it _analyzed_ independently
17 (this one will constrain the set of possible persons a lot) _and_ made the
18 results public (I fear this one is also a working limit on that set).
19
20 Not that I want to correct you in any way, but I think that's the essence of
21 what you wanted to express - only to make things clear.
22
23 Kind regards!
24 Eckard
25 --