From: Tobias Weisserth <tobias@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Gentoo Linux Vulnerability Treatment Policy
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 21:07:48
1 Hi Thierry,
2
3 On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 22:05, Thierry Carrez wrote:
4 > Hello everyone,
5 >
6 > We're in the process of publishing Gentoo Official Policy for the
7 > treatment of vulnerabilities. You can review the latest draft at the
8 > following location :
9 >
10 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~koon/docs/vulnerability-policy.html
11 >
12 > Comments welcome.
15 "Confidential vulnerabilities
16
17 Confidential vulnerabilities (for example coming from developer's direct
18 communication or restricted vendor-sec lists) should follow a specific
19 procedure. They should not appear as a public bugzilla entry, but only
20 in the (private) GLSAMaker tool. They should get corrected using private
21 communication channels between the GLSA coordinator and the package
22 maintainer."
23
24 What's this about? I can't imagine what a "confidential vulnerability"
25 might be. This immediately prompts for "security by obscurity" remark,
26 don't you think?
27
28 Otherwise very good work.
29
30 I'm back in the game by the way. I had to wait about 4 weeks until my
31 replacement drive came in after my fatal crash and I have now a machine
32 with Gentoo again. Thank God ;-)
33
34 I am going to buy another spare hard drive with another installation on
35 it so my machine won't fail on me in the future with these consequences.
36 Though I have to admit that a few weeks with less computer usage have
37 really been worthwhile ;-)
38
39 I have started monitoring full-disclosure and bugtraq again, already
40 commencing entering bugs into bugzilla.
41
42 Mandrake has a nice link collection:
43
44 http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/secsites.php
45
46 These would be good candidates to skim through too. Add the
47 announcements of all the other big distributions and that should cover a
48 great deal of relevant channels.
49
50 regards,
51 Tobias W.