From: Dark <dark@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] hackers
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:28:21
For the task of banning people trying to force their way into my server
I use the following combination:

portsentry + logwatch (and a bit of iptables to restrict access to
certain servers to certain clients).

portsentry will monitor certain ports and check for known attacks (the
SSH attack and port scan is among those) and given some rules it will
put the IP/hostname into the /etc/hosts.deny file and thus make sure
that they wont be able to gain access to the machine (with some other
techniques they wont even be able to SEE the machine!).

logwatch mails me a summary of the most important logs every day (I've
set my system to do it around midnight - just after my logsystem changes
logfile). So I know how much diskspace is left, how much bandwidth I've
used for the day, how many SSH login attempts there were (succesful,
unsuccesful and which accounts were tried), etc.

Angel ~ # emerge -s portsentry
[ Results for search key : portsentry ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  net-analyzer/portsentry
      Latest version available: 1.2
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 46 kB
      License:     GPL-2

Angel ~ # emerge -s logwatch
[ Results for search key : logwatch ]
[ Applications found : 3 ]

*  sys-apps/logwatch
      Latest version available: 6.0.2
      Latest version installed: 6.0.2
      Size of downloaded files: 149 kB
      License:     MIT

This is nice and stable - if you configure your portsentry a bit
(remember to add your own IP as an exception - otherwise you MIGHT just
lock yourself out of the box if you do some security auditing ;-) ).

Just my .02 on this subject. I've been using this for a while - and it
definently does what it's supposed to do!

/Jakob Rosenlund