From: Jonathan Rogers <jonner@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] Re: [gentoo-hardened] hardened-sources-2.6.x results.
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 20:35:16
1 On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 13:44, Michael Atighetchi wrote:
2 > I see. We starting using a 2.4 gentoo linux distribution a couple of
3 > months ago, and had good luck with it. However, we ran into install
4 > difficulties with the 2.6 live cd, which were painfull but we worked
5 > around them.
6 >
7 > However, we currently face an issue with stdout redirection. We start
8 > our java processes via a .sh script and redirect stdout/stderr to a file via
9 > > file.txt 2>&1 . By changing from 2.4 to 2.6 we noticed that
10 > file.txt gets created when the .sh script starts up, up it does not
11 > get any content for a while (about 6 minutes and about 100k of
12 > log), after which the whole file shows up. It looks like a buffering
13 > problem of sort.
14 >
15 > We are using
16 > Linux dcaf 2.6.4-rc2-mm1 #2 Mon Mar 15 17:33:02 EST 2004 i686 Pentium III (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
17 > with the following fs
18 > /dev/hda3 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
19 >
20 > Any clues ?
21
22 Was the kernel the only difference? It sounds more like a a difference
23 in the size of the userspace buffer, which is managed by Glibc, although
24 a 100k default buffer is mighty big.
25
26 Jonathan Rogers
29 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list