From: Bart Alewijnse <scarfboy@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Prevent users to login directly
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:50:21
1 Errm. I was referring to the *user* 'emerge' - I wasn't aware you can
2 use su to execute binaries. sudo, yes, but su? 'sudo su emerge' would
3 cause sudo to run su with the command line parameter 'emerge' which
4 can only be a username - rather than hand sudo two executable names,
5 right?
6 But if you're paranoid, you could likely require the path to emerge in
7 sudoers, so that it'd have to be
8 'sudo su /usr/bin/emerge' - or possibly just that it'd only accept
9 running emerge if the actual emerge binary being suggested for running
10 is the one in /usr/bin. Since you don't have direct accidental access
11 to that as either considered user, it's not a risk.
12
13 Again with the calling me undercaffeinated if I'm missing something.
14
15 But as to the being bad, I don't see how it's not an entirely moot point.
16
17 You give them root access one way or the other, be it directly, or
18 indirectly quite simply because you allow them full access to the
19 filesystem through emerge - you have to, or emerge wouldn't work. If
20 they wanted to be bad, they could do what they wanted anyhow - say,
21 make a portage package that'd have the added featuer of also mailing
22 them the password shadow file.
23
24 If this needs to work, and cleanly, it needs to be authentication
25 within emerge, as far as I can see.
26
27 --Bart Alewijnse
30 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list